4.03.2013

CYCLED SENTENCE - PART 2

                                                

                 VICTIMS AND CASUALTIES



 “He did it in cold blood.”  As if to say that I was as mindless as a reptile, only acting on some monster like instinct.  Another example of delicate language, in this case, designed to convey that my actions were subhuman, or at least beyond the rational, warm blooded virtues of modern men.  This label only works for killers of victims, of course. Killers of casualties are to be filed under a different label, laminated with a moral acceptance, but only if the killing is done in the service of god and country.  
During my shell shock vacation in France, I was a maker of casualties.  I had a knack for turning blonde haired, blue eyed German boys into hamburger for the worms.  I once kicked open a latrine door to find a pretty Nazi taking a shit for Hitler. He put one hand out while covering his small fascist dick with the other.  “Nein, nein, ne…”  I wiped his ass with lead and thought nothing of the fact that he was armed with only a roll of toilet paper. 
Turns out he was an SS Sniper with enough kills to open a small American graveyard in Normandy.  I think about the endless hours he must have spent, perched in a bell tower, or concealed on the balcony of some French bakery.  Never moving, never giving up his position, even if it meant defecating in his uniform and lying with the mess for a week.  I don’t know how or why he left himself so exposed and defenseless that day, but the outcome would result in two makers of casualties, one dead on the shitter, the other with a medal from Uncle Sam. 
The only thing that made us any different was the symbols on our sleeves.  His just happened to be the one that meant, “Kill this mother fucker!”  Then again, mine probably meant the same to him.  It was his symbol that made killing so easy for me.  What it stood for, all that it represented.  I figured that any man that would bare a fucking swastika must be a supporter of genocide and a breeder of hate.  
It was this very symbol, the banner of all my war casualties, which would bring me to take my first victim.  It happened almost thirteen years after the war ended. Enough time to make the thought of killing a man seem hard again. Then, with the simple act of unveiling a greenish black tattoo from behind a red paisley bandanna, I saw “Kill this mother fucker!”  A fist sized swastika across his Adams apple, might as well have been a target that read “Stab here.”  
He didn’t know it at the time, but he had just made himself as assailable as an unarmed Nazi taking a shit behind allied lines.  There are days when I feel bad about the men I killed in war, but not even one second of carving new breathing holes for that jackass brings me any sorrow or guilt. I don’t know how I know this, but the bastard deserved every second of it and I don’t regret turning him into a victim.  If only I would have realized that by sentencing him to death, I would be sentencing myself to something much worse.

****
With the judgments of man, Hell is sure to follow.

2 comments:

Joe said...

nice

Unknown said...

Thanks Joe!